This course is for teachers to learn how to incorporate the permaculture design principles and methods into their own curricula to enhance traditional education and create programs that promote personal self-discovery in the natural world.
The Permaculture Project LLC offers a platform for teaching ecological connectivity and sensitivity. We provide in-service training and support for educators in a variety of fields.
In partnership with teachers, we create programs that help students penetrate into a deeper understanding of land, plants and animals, springs, rivers, groundwater, oceans, and the effect of human beings upon the landscape. As Thomas Berry states, “There is presently no other way for humans to educate themselves for either their survival or fulfillment than through the instruction available through the natural world.”
We seek to restructure education so that it integrates holistic learning with school curricula by:
- Encouraging self reflection on Nature
- Increasing and defining ecological and bioregional literacy
- Studying cultural and natural diversity
- Teaching global thinking and the spiritual understanding of the natural world
- Celebrating change, observing and studying the rhythms and evolution of Nature
- Creating sustainable designs for living within a region of study
- Recreating the life and folk ways of local prehistoric and historic cultures
- Intertwining environmental and ecological studies with our daily existence