Consultations with The Permaculture Project LLC and Bio-Culture are based on uncovering the sacred nature of the earth and recognizing the “spirit of place.” This foundation enables our clients to learn for themselves, how reading their property and engaging in finding the “spirit of place” connects them to their land.
The Permaculture Project LLC and Bio-Culture work closely with the Permaculture Design Build Collaborative LLC in the implementation of master plans. We have several crews that work all around the US. From design to putting these systems on the ground. This precludes the need for a full set of construction drawings, budgets, and timelines.
Our professional team of expert designers and technicians, will create a master plan with you that will move you along a simple trajectory to food self-sufficiency, ecologically sound living, energy efficiency and ecosystem restoration on your property.
The Permaculture project LLC and Bio-Culture delivers and organizes top-notch training events, workshops and consultations the world over. We have our finger on the pulse of the latest and most effective methods, techniques, and appropriate technologies so that you can learn what is essential in order to move forward with the regeneration of your enterprise, family, landscape and community.
One of the essential goals of our work – along with master planning for sites and education – is ecological restoration of degraded landscapes (this includes the built environment, gardening and farming, the waste stream, use of energy, etc.) Ecological restoration is the practice of renewing and restoring degraded, damaged, or destroyed ecosystems and habitats in the environment by active human intervention and action.
Natural ecosystems provide ecosystem services in the form of resources such as food, fuel, and timber, the purification of air and water, the detoxification and decomposition of wastes, the regulation of climate, the regeneration of soil fertility, and the pollination of crops.
- The key to comprehensive design is for stakeholders to be completely immersed in all phases from assessment to design to implementation, management and maintenance.
- We are facilitators in which we tap into the creative genius of the land and educate all stakeholders in the principles and methodologies of whole systems design and the permaculture approach of patterning the world.
- The development and implementation of a site is an ongoing educational process, a regenerative, restorative process in all areas of life: mineral, plant, animal, and especially, human.
- Our work is about whole systems, not about separate components. Each element in a landscape, or the built environment, affects every other element at a site. A complete, comprehensive assessment is tantamount to develop healthy, productive, energy efficient relationships between elements.
- By paying attention to all details: topography, climate, water, wind, sun, activity nodes and corridors, buildings, machinery and tools, the waste stream, plants and animals, it enables us to make best use of what is already on the ground, and what we intend to put there.
How does a Permaculture Project LLC and Bio-Culture design process work?
The Permaculture Project LLC offers consulting services that are performed using all or portions of a 5-phase comprehensive design and implementation process. Consultations include one or more of the following: assessment and inventory of property, GPS/GIS, Sketchup animation, CAD drawings, hand drawings, drone surveys, drone camera pictures and videos (aerials).
A General Framework of the Design Process:
- Identify key ideas, essential thoughts
- How is the fertility of the property? It’s carrying capacity?
- What ecosystem services are on hand at the site?
- What materials are available locally?
- What is the Native /settlement history?
- What are the preexisting patterns?
- What patterns will we place upon the preexisting patterns/changes?
- Build in infrastructure
- Run through the Scale of Permanence in mixed order (of importance based on the site)
Here are some of the GIS Data and Mapping Solutions for site assessment and master planning we may utilize:
- Environmental Analysis
- Print and Digital Mapping
- Large Format Printing
- Field Data Collection Systems and Services
- Internet GIS Services (e.g. Website Mapping Applications such as Google Maps, Open Layers, Leaflet; Data Hosting (PostGIS)
- RTK GPS Surveying
- Drone photography and video
- Aerial drone-based surveying and photogrammetry
- 3D modeling and model animations
- Raster and Vector Editors
- Trimble Sketchup Pro
How long does it take to get a The Permaculture Project LLC master plan / design completed?
Generally, master planning and design work that includes concept plans and a full narrative report takes about 1 calendar month. The duration may change based on the size of the property and the goals of the client.
Contact us for a consultationConsultation Request
A selection of the proficiencies addressed in site planning include:
- Practical homesteading skills
- The built environment and infrastructure
- Access and circulation
- Climate and microclimate
- Renewable energy (wind, solar, water, fire) systems
- Biological waste management systems and waste detoxification
- Water collection systems
- Storage, cycling and distribution of fresh water (landform and water)
- Air and water purification
- Cooling, heating and climate regulation
- Land restoration
- Utility plant landscapes and food forests
- Annual food production
- Fertility and nutrient storage
- Community gardens
- Peaceful sanctuary
- Biological diversity
- Noise abatement
- Design predicated on a template of sacred number and geometry
All of Bio-Culture and The Permaculture Project LLC design work is based on an understanding of the underlying geometrical matrix of “place”. Through a thorough assessment and inventory of a site, we identify these “sacred” patterns and develop a master plan based exclusively on these patterns. What lies within the essential patterns of your site?
Through a Canon of number and proportion, geometry and measure, the laws of form which relate mind and matter are encoded into the whole fabric of culture. Environment is a formative field, a harmonic envelope, resonating with the forces of nature and conditioning man to higher, more integrated states of being. Sacred Geometry as archetypal pattern reconciles material values with spiritual values. It reveals the pattern and process of natural law.
Harmonic proportion is applied through the function of relating essential form to diversity, giving scale to the pattern and harmonic resonance to the field. It expands fundamental shape into multiplicity providing the key to understanding the mystery of diversity of the universe. The Golden Ratio of the Fibonacci series defines the growth pattern of many forms in nature and is the fundamental geometry.